Monday, November 8, 2010

Everything happens for a reason....

Today was the big consult appointment. WOW...what a lot of information thrown at you all at once. Patrick was an excellent note taker and I listened intently. I was glad to hear the statement "You don't have the worst case scenario with your endometriosis" and "You have youth on your side." (I'm not sure if they caught that I'm quickly sliding into the home plate with the BIG 30 on it....but hey, I'll take the "your 29 which is excellent still!") We met with the doc for an hour and then turned around and met with the nurse an hour and a half later based on our treatment decision. It's a good thing I had the afternoon off and they were so kind to work with my schedule.

So, our options are IVF and injectables with an IUI. So, we've decided to start with the injectable hormones coupled with an IUI. This procedure is a stepping stone to the IVF if needed after the first of the year. I will wait until day 3 of my cycle and then trek to the hospital at 7AM for same day blood work for estrodial levels and then go for an ultra sound. The nurse will call me that night and let me know if I start my hormone cocktail injection of Menopur and Brevelle. If that is a go, we start shots at the same time every night and go until day 7. Then its another blood test and ultrasound. Then they decide the course of hormone cocktails and when I give myself the hcg injections.

So through all of this, Patrick continues to fight with our insurance since nothing is really covered. BUT there must be a God because the injections are covered by our prescriptions. I wanted to cry, because it would have been darn expensive if they weren't.

The upside to this is we could get pregnant without IVF. The upside to if we don't get pregnant (yes, there is an upside), doc has a baseline for if we have to do the IVF and it takes some of the guess work out of how I will react to the hormones. The IVF is a step we will take if necessary and we are committed to our journey for a family. Here's to baby steps in a positive light!

No comments:

Post a Comment